TIBCO Mashery, also known as Mashery API Management, is a robust and modern application program interface (API) designed for digital businesses that manage their own entire API lifecycle. It is a platform built to help brands manage and optimize their digital efforts and initiatives, as well as extend the reach of their API through API creation, API portal, API gateway, and API analytics.
The software solution allows you to manage your API for a more simplified and efficient partner access, stability, and performance. It also allows users to collaborate with the development community and provide support when needed.
TIBCO Mashery caters to a wide range of companies across multiple industries, including Cisco, Coca-Cola Enterprises, Best Buy, Comcast, Constant Contact, Getty Images, Rotten Tomatoes, Sportradar, FoodEssentials, TomTom, TouchTunes, Sabre, Klout, Rovi, and so much more.
TIBCO Mashery Features
The TIBCO Mashery API management platform provides customers with four key products to help make their API development and other processes easier and more efficient. These core products are API Creation, API Developer Portal, API Gateway, and API Analytics.
The API management platform is designed for full lifecycle API management in software-as-a-service (SaaS) form meant for internal APIs, public API, and B2B API programs. Mashery is a feature-rich solution that can deliver core API administration capabilities necessary for effective and successful digital transformation initiatives.
TIBCO Mashery comes with a wide variety of features and capabilities that include testing, packaging, and management of your APIs as well as your following. That is on top of the four core products that they offer as mentioned above. API security is also provided through an embedded API gateway, which is likewise available as an optional on-premise feature.
The API Creation feature has a number of notable capabilities that a lot of companies and organizations find very useful, such as:
- Visual API modeling – A codeless API creation solution that generates open API documents with easy service exploration and testing.
- Microservices ready – It lets you build fine-grained services to provide web-scale performance ideal for mobile apps, composition-ready APIs, or targeted access to legacy applications.
- API choreography – This lets users develop API flows between applications and services that go beyond the basic request/reply scenarios.
- API monetization – Monetize your API effectively by implementing API pricing models or chargebacks through the export of API call log details to the monetization solution of your choosing.
- Mocking and testing – Users can create a mock implementation of their API from within the API modeling interface itself, to ensure proper function and behavior.
The API Developer Portal has a few capabilities and features as well that are worth mentioning, especially when you consider the fact that proper developer portals can turn APIs into products. The following are some of the capabilities one can expect from this product:
- Customization and branding – The TIBCO Mashery API Management solution provides users an out-of-the-box template that helps to simplify the branding and customization process of the API portal.
- Flexible API documentation – Users can directly import a wide range of API definitions in multiple formats into the Mashery API portal. These formats include IOdocs, OpenAPI (Swagger), and WSDLs.
- User management – Manage your users more effectively, add proper definitions for simple to complex organizations, and setup centralized controls or distributed administrative configurations.
- Create and deploy API proxies – You’re able to create and deploy API proxies in just a few simple steps. Choose the policies you want to control the behavior of your API endpoints and traffic with ease.
- Self-service onboarding – With this capability, developers can interact directly with the API portal to access documentation, do some tests, request a developer key, and get started.
The TIBCO Mashery API Gateway solution maintains the security of your APIs. It is essentially the digital traffic controller and comes with a few powerful capabilities as well. The following are several of the more notable core capabilities:
- Federated gateways – Users can choose to run their API gateways on-premise or via the cloud and manage them effectively using one single platform.
- Secure access control – You can use SAML and/or OAuth2 authentication to enable local control over SSL termination and secrets management for keys.
- Full data encryption – For more robust security, users can fully encrypt both inbound and outbound data traffic and communication using SSL, although Mashery supports a variety of industry security specifications as well, including PCI and HITRUST.
- Traffic throttling and caching – Users can set API traffic limits at the API level, method level developer level, or key level. They can also enforce local or global caching and geo-routing policies.
- Custom extension points – Mashery provides an adapter SDK that enables clients to write their own custom logic for seamless integration with existing IT infrastructure like identity management systems.
The API Analytics provided by TIBCO Mashery provides users with a more in-depth look at the performance and overall status of their APIs. In order for the adoption of APIs to be successful, proper monitoring and management of all operational aspects of the API program must be observed. This is what API Analytics can offer.
TIBCO Mashery Benefits
Create Smarter and More Advanced APIs
If you want smart, fully capable applications, then you need smarter APIs. The TIBCO Mashery connected intelligence platform effectively combines seamless integration with robust API management functionality to make the process of modeling flows between multiple data sources for more complex operations a lot easier and more efficient. Users can build smarter APIs with elaborate yet simple data integration.
Repurpose Existing Data and Services in an Efficient Way
When it comes to the process of creating APIs, you don’t have to rebuild everything from scratch to reinvent something that is already working perfectly. With the Mashery API Management solution, you can repurpose existing SOAP services where possible, wrap them with REST interfaces, or even redesign them into something that is more suitable for your current REST API development.
Design and Create Your APIs Faster
TIBCO Mashery API management is purposefully designed to make the process of building APIs way more convenient and efficient. Because of the user-friendly design and the API-first guided approach, you are able to model potential APIs, get accurate feedback of how they look to your target user, and test their features and functions all in a single platform. It’s quick and easy.
Microservices With Ease-Of-Use in Mind
As the number of organizations shifting towards microservices—as a foundation for applications and APIs—continues to grow, the importance of microservices has become more apparent. By using the Mashery connected intelligence platform, users are able to create microservices quite easily, the kind that can deliver more flexible and scalable APIs.
TIBCO Mashery Pricing
The Mashery API Management solution comes in three different editions: Mashery Professional, Mashery API Management, and Mashery Enterprise. Mashery Pro is essentially a starter API Management solution, while Mashery API Management is suited for mid-range API management. Mashery Enterprise is the full-range enterprise API Management solution.
Mashery Professional: Starting at $1,995 per month
- REST APIs
- API packaging definitions
- Onboarding and partners management
- Interactive API documentation
- Security and operational policies definitions
- PCI and HITRUST security compliance
- Limited OAuth and SSL support
- Out-of-the-box analytics
- Platform API for interoperability
Mashery API Management: Starts at $5,000 per month
- Everything from Mashery Pro
- Delegated administration
- Support for geocaching
- Hybrid gateway option
- Full OAuth and SSL support
Mashery Enterprise: Contact TIBCO Mashery sales team for pricing
- Everything from Mashery API Management
- Create SOAP APIs
- Cloud or on-premise data connection
- API and payload transformations definitions
- Routing rules specifications
- API choreography modeling
- API composition support
The first two plans are available for a free trial. You may visit the vendor’s official website for more information about the API Management solution or contact them directly for a free demo and custom pricing.
TIBCO Mashery API Management is a fully functional, highly efficient, and powerful software solution for API development. It is designed to make the process of designing, creating, and securing your APIs a lot easier, more convenient, and faster.
But this is a platform that comes with a hefty price, so you need to be sure you need this kind of solution before committing. Checking out the demo and getting that free trial is a good start to see if this is the right fit for your organization.